Sunday, December 9, 2012

running from PF

It's been a long time. I don't know how regular bloggers do it. I've been thinking about ways to change it up so I can post more frequently. The past few months focusing on perfecting my Japanese fluency  struggling through basic japanese sentences has dominated the spare time I have.

This summer, I read a book called, Wherever I End Up by R.A. Dickey, a pitcher for the New York Mets who just won the Cy Young award (awarded to the best pitcher in the major leagues). Dickey is a superb writer and story teller, and he has quite the story to tell, ranging from a baseball player engulfed in self-doubt (and within the minor leagues), to a childhood past smothered in sexual abuse and only his faith in Jesus Christ brings him through it all. But my favorite part of the book were these little 1 page excerpts in which he would journal about something that had happened in his life that day. I loved it, I can imagine the editors attempting to take it out, but even though they were often smaller details, such as a player close to Dickey being traded away thatI could always tell they were most important to Dickey. That is what I would like this blog to become. I want to write about what is most important to me and give others, especially those I am closest to, a special glimpse into my life.

The last couple of days have been exciting for me. I became a runner again.

I've dealt with my share of running injuries, but this one has been by far the worst. My plantar fasciitis has been sucking life out of my running spirits for a year. In February, I decided to stop running so I could heal completely, in time to start running once I got to Japan in April I thought. Never did I think my heel injury would put me out a year. I've been going to a special chiropractor twice a week for the last 6 months or so. A few months ago they told me I have a bone spur (which explains the extended injury), a bone growth in my heel caused by the inflammation in my heel and arch. Twice a week I go in for some (at times) painful ultra sound treatment, in which the ultra sound deep therapy massage treatment breaks down the bone growth. They half joke and say, "Today you will cry David" I think they're impressed I haven't yet.

The workers at the chiropractor are great. They are so accommodating and we have fun trying to communicate. I've found I enjoy the 10km trek because of their hospitality to a foreigner who struggles to put together simple Japanese sentences (my haircut yesterday was interesting :) ). My experience in Japan has forever changed how I look at foreigner. Where ever you are, If you open your eyes you will find foreigners or outsiders who could really use your help and kindness. The owner of the Chiropractic office, Saito, and his family live above their office. One Saturday, I unknowingly came on a day in which they were closed, as I was about to head back, Saito came back from some errands and invited me in to get treated. They even invited me to go skiing with them next month. Talk about a no brainer.

As much as I have loathed this injury; it's a physically and emotionally draining leach, I love the chance to overcome the challenges and setbacks. Running is a sport I enjoy but often I cling to it much more tightly than I should. There have been times when I have been frustrated at God. Of all the times to be injured, these last 7 months are pretty much at the very bottom. (Couldn't you have picked another 7 month period Lord?) It's amazing that I can fool myself, time and time again, that if I only have this or could only be healed of PF I would then be happy. As if God's grace isn't enough. The famous verse, Philippians 4:13, ("I can endure all these things through the power of the one who gives me strength") isn't referring to running a fast 10k because God has such great confidence in my ability to move my feet really fast, it's having peace in Jesus Christ and waiting on Him no matter your circumstances. Sometimes I lack that peace and do not hold my trust in the One who gives me strength.

I started running again yesterday; it was my favorite 2 mile run ever. I hope this renewed gift provides me with a thankful heart. I'm thankful for the last 7 months. I'm also really thankful for Jordan Powell. He's the one I can give my honest complaints and worries to. He has consistently turned my frustration with my foot into encouragement to strive toward the One who gives me strength.

Now, if only I could learn Japanese, then I would be happy... :)

*****

I can't wait to see my family in 10 days in Hawaii. You all mean so much to me. Reunions are the best.

I'll post more pictures in the future. I haven't taken many recently. That will definitely change in Hawaii. Here's a could outdated pictures.

This is my last run, 6 months ago, my weight has stayed the same somehow

Beautiful Nikko, Japan


1 comment:

  1. Gohan watashi ni kudasai!

    I wish the Hinds were vacationing in the ever-tropical Coos Bay, instead of Hawaii. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete